Lactation in the Workplace: Rules take effect on August 25, 2018
Rules: After considering public input, the San Francisco Office of Labor Standards Enforcement (OLSE) released its Rules Implementing the Lactation in the Workplace Ordinance on July 25, 2018. The rules take effect on August 25, 2018.
Training: The Office of Labor Standards Enforcement held a webinar on the requirements of the Lactation in the Workplace Ordinance (LWO) on February 6, 2018. View the recording of the LWO webinar. You can also view the Lactation in the Workplace Presentation from the webinar.
Employers must provide employees with lactation breaks and a lactation location, and must have a policy that explains how employees will make a request for lactation accommodation.
The Lactation in the Workplace Ordinance also defines minimum standards for lactation accommodation spaces, requires that tenant improvements in buildings designated for certain uses include lactation rooms, and outlines lactation accommodation best practices.
If you have questions about the Lactation in the Workplace Ordinance or wish to report a violation of the law, call 415-554-6406 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: For the calendar year 2018, OLSE will only issue warnings and notices to correct when it has concluded that a violation has occurred. Starting January 1, 2019, OLSE may issue determinations and impose administrative penalties.
The San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed the Lactation in the Workplace Ordinance on June 20, 2017.
- Lactation in the Workplace Ordinance, San Francisco Police Code, Article 33I
- Text of the Legislation (Police & Building Code)
Forms and Documents
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Sample Lactation Accommodation Policy English Spanish Chinese Filipino/Tagalog
- Sample Lactation Accommodation Request Form English Spanish Chinese Filipino/Tagalog
- San Francisco Department of Public Health – Workplace Lactation Accommodation Program
- U.S. Department of Labor – Break Time for Nursing Mothers
Contact the Office of Labor Standards Enforcement
- Please email email@example.com or call 554-6406 with any questions regarding your rights and responsibilities under the San Francisco Minimum Wage Ordinance.
- Sign up for email updates! Join the OLSE email list to receive periodic updates about San Francisco labor laws.
- More info: https://sfgov.org/olse/lactation-workplace