Refuse Separation Compliance: LRG List + Amendments
Supervisor Safaí’s Refuse Separation Compliance legislation will be heard again at the Budget and Finance Committee Thursday, Nov. 29 (10:00 am, City Hall room 250). The city has published a list of Large Refuse Generators (LRG) that fall under this legislation. It includes 12 restaurant properties. We will be there to represent our industry but hope those affected by this ordinance will also be there to provide comment.
Amendments pertaining to restaurants so far:
- The distinction as a LRG has been increased from 30 cubic yards per week to 40 cubic yards of refuse per week. Some restaurants we previously contacted have now fallen off of the LRG list.
- A ZWF can be full or part time but must exclusively be in the role of a ZWF.
- LRGs that fail an audit have 60 days to hire or assign a Zero Waste Facilitator (ZWF), but can have an additional 60 days if they can show a lack of availability of ZWFs. City departments may get more than 60 additional days.
While we would prefer that restaurants not be included in this legislation, amendments we are still requesting are:
- Including a warning period(s) if a failed audit occurs.
- Removing the requirement for a Zero Waste Facilitator for 24 months in an exclusive role as a result of a failed audit.
- Moving the start date from July 2019 to January 2020.
For more information, please reach out to Chhavi at email@example.com